- 1½ cups mashed, ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (I use nonfat)
- ¼ cup buttermilk (or sour cream)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour one loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, sugars, butter, yogurt, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, espresso powder, ground flax, baking soda, and salt. Toss 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips in the flour mixture (reserve the other 1/3 for the top of the banana bread). Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. smooth out the top, and then top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (baking time will vary by oven). Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and eat (one piece at a time, if you can manage it!).