For the Waffles:
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- Pinch of fine salt
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the waffle iron
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- Ice cream (1-3 flavors, depending on how crazy you want to be)
- Hot fudge sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Whipped cream
- Preheat your waffle iron. Preheat the oven to 200°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the butter and half the chocolate chips in a bowl and microwave for 20-second increments or until mostly melted. Remove from microwave and stir to finish melting the chocolate.
- Once smooth, whisk in the sugar and then the eggs. Toss the remaining chocolate chips into the flour mixture and then gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Lightly brush the waffle iron with melted butter. Fill the waffle iron about three-quarters of the way full with the batter. Close the lid gently and cook until the waffles are cooked through and crispy around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked waffles to the prepared baking sheet and place in the warm oven until you are finished making the remaining waffles.
- Top each waffle (while still warm!) with ice cream and other desired toppings. Serve immediately!