And just like that, it’s Thursday. Which is basically Friday. Am I right?
Which means margaritas are totally called for.
In all seriousness, I get into “weekend mindset” on Thursdays now. Fridays used to signify the start of the weekend, but now, it feels like Thursdays. I work part-time these days, and that entails being in an office in the city at my big girl job Monday through Wednesday. When Wednesday afternoon rolls around, I’m always caught off guard by the fact that my weekend has started. You’d think I’d be celebrating, but it doesn’t really hit me that it’s the “weekend” until Thursday.
But not just any margaritas! No, no, no. These are amazing for a few reasons (1) they’re really easy and only take about 5 minutes to put together (no simple syrup making required!), (2) fresh cherries, (3) amaretto, and (4) FRESH CHERRIES. Yes, I’m aware I said that last one twice. I can’t help myself. I totally geek out over cherries every summer. I buy them in bulk and am constantly trying to eat them in new and different ways. Or, in this case, DRINK them.
It’s no secret that cherries and amaretto are a flavor match made in heaven. And it’s also no secret that I am a huge fan of margaritas. They’re probably my #1 cocktail of choice when I’m feeling like switching things up from a glass of wine. They’re perfect for celebrating just about anything. They just put me in a fun, festive mood!
Now, this isn’t the first time I’ve put amaretto in my margaritas. It may sound like an odd thing to do, but the lime and amaretto flavors are so good together. Think sweet and sour candy. That’s what it tastes like! So yum. The cherries here are really just a bonus. The best bonus a cherry freak like me could ask for.
There’s so much going on here: nutty amaretto, tart lime juice, sweet, luscious cherries, and of course tequila. A bonus ingredient: maraschino liqueur. Have you had this stuff yet?! It’s DELICIOUS. Like, I could probably drink it straight. I was known (and still am) for eating entire jars of maraschino cherries growing up. My mom would buy them for ice cream or shirley temples, and I would eat an entire jar in like…a couple hours. Much to my family’s dismay.
They were like crack to my 11-year-old self. And not much as changed. I adore them still to this day. Of course, I love fresh, real-deal cherries just as much, but those dyed, artificially flavored little maraschino gems will always have a special place in my heart. Which may explain why I love the flavor in BOOZE FORM so much. It’s kind of a no brainer.
I love how easily these come together. No simple syrup required! The cherry juice and liqueurs are plenty sweet. As easy as these margs are, they taste like they take way more work. It really is a party in your mouth. I mean, just look at that color!!! PARTY TIME!
Perfect for kickstarting your weekend…even if it is a little bit early.
- ½ cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¼ cup silver tequila
- 1 tablespoon triple sec
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry liqueur
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- Salt and sugar, for rimming glasses
- Extra lime slices, for garnish
- Extra cherries, for garnish
- Place the cherries and sugar in a bowl and muddle or mash with a fork until the cherries are mostly broken down. Alternatively, if a smoother texture is preferred, you can puree the cherries and sugar in a food processor or blender. I don’t mind the cherry bits in my drink, though!
- Place the cherry mixture, lime juice, tequila, triple sec, cherry liqueur, and amaretto in a shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously until everything is very cold.
- Rim two glasses with sugar, salt, or a mixture of the two. Fill the glasses with ice and pour the tequila-cherry mix over top.
- Garnish each glass with cherries and additional lime slices, as desired. Serve immediately!