- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1¼ cups water
- 8 oz rigatoni or penne pasta (roughly half a standard box)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and the oregano and add to the hot oil.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing frequently, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, shallot, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Cook for a couple minutes and then add the tomato paste and mix it in until it is melted. Stir in the marinara, milk, and water.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and then add in the pasta. Cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is tender and the entire mixture has thickened, about 12 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler in your oven.
- Return the chicken to the pan and toss to combine. Stir in half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Top the skillet with the remaining cheeses and the panko breadcrumbs. Drizzle lightly with oil and then place the skillet under the broiler for about 1-2 minutes, watching it carefully. It is ready when the top is bubbly and brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with basil and additional parmesan cheese, if desired.