- 3 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups apple cider, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- Crispy onion strings, for serving (I used store bought, but feel free to make them from scratch)
- In a large pot, combine the sweet potatoes, 1½ cups of the apple cider, salt, and the cinnamon stick. Add enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring the water/cider to a boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Drain and return the potatoes to the same pot. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Mash the potatoes with the remaining ½ cup apple cider, butter, sour cream, and another pinch of salt.
- Mash the potatoes until they are creamy and smooth. Season, to taste, with additional salt and the pepper.
- Pile the mashed potatoes in a large serving dish or bowl and garnish with the crispy onions and some chopped parsley. Serve immediately while warm.