I have the coziest post-Christmas hug in a mug for you today.
Yes, hug in a mug. It’s a thing.
I don’t know about you, but December has taken A TOLL on me this year. Physically and mentally. I just feel completely drained. I’m hoping that a few days of rest will help that, but I have been in total “go mode” for weeks now.
We did a mid-December trip to Florida to visit family and also to take Kieran to Disney World for the first time (it was a huge hit – I was so worried he was too young to enjoy it, but NOPE! Turns out, 3 is the most magical age to take ’em!), and while it was wonderful, it totally threw me out of whack.
Travel usually does that to me. But especially during this busy time of the year. We came home just a couple days before Christmas and to a bajillion things to do. Our house was dirty. No gifts were wrapped. There was pre- and post-trip laundry to do (even though I did several loads right before we left!). There was no food in the house.
AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF: I ARRIVED HOME SICK.
Ugh. I’ve been battling a pretty gnarly head cold this past week. I guess that’s what happens when you travel in December to the giant petri dish that is Disney World. Hah. It was bound to happen.
So! I’m slowly but surely nursing myself back and reminding myself as much as possible that it is OK TO TAKE A DAMN MINUTE TO REST. I struggle with this big time. Being idle, even deliberately so, is HARD for me. Anyone else?
Given that we’re starting a new year in a few days, I am definitely going to focus on mindful resting as a goal.
In the meantime, I’d like to talk to you about another wonderful and far more delicious way to relax: these chai honey lattes!
Oh goodness, are these yummy. And they are just about the coziest darn thing you can consume. AND they come together in minutes! Can’t beat that.
I warmed up honey on the stove and whisked in some homemade chai spice for an extra cozy effect. The whole kitchen smelled wonderful after a few minutes of this mixture simmering away.
The chai honey was then poured into fresh espresso (or coffee!) and topped with foamy and frothy hot milk. If you’re feeling extra indulgent (do it while you still can – ya know, before the resolutions go into full effect), top off the mugs with whipped cream, a sprinkling of chai spice, and another drizzle of honey.
You will NOT be sorry.
It’s like a warming combination of chai tea and an espresso latte. I have been drinking these on repeat these past few mornings, and I have to say, as simple as this recipe is, it is a home run.
Yup. I think it’s just what the doctor ordered!
For the Chai Honey:
- 1 cup honey
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
For Two Lattes:
- 2–4 shots of espresso
- 2–4 tablespoons of the Chai honey (to taste)
- 2 cups warmed, frothed milk
- Whipped cream, for garnish
For the Chai Honey:
- Place the honey in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the spices. Heat until just warmed through and fragrant.
- Remove from heat and cool. Store in a jar in the fridge. I recommend warming it up slightly before using.
For the Lattes:
- Pour the espresso into two glasses and then stir in the chai honey. Start with 1-2 tablespoons per glass and then add more, as needed, to meet your tastes.
- Pour the frothed milk over top and garnish each glass with a dollop of whipped cream, another drizzle of honey, and a dusting of chai spice (or just ground cinnamon). Serve immediately.