- 6 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 package of shelf-stable gnocchi (mine was roughly 17 oz)
- ½ cup of half-and-half
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley, or basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet or shallow pan over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook until the bacon is crispy and rendered. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To the drippings, add the oil. Add the onion and pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes or until the onion is starting to tenderize.
- Add the garlic, brussels sprouts, red pepper flakes, and another pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the brussels sprouts are tender and beginning to caramelize in spots, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly add in the chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the stock to a simmer and then add in the gnocchi. Cook, stirring frequently, for another 5-7 minutes or until the gnocchi is almost cooked.
- Add in the half-and-half, peas, cheese, and lemon juice and stir constantly until the liquid reduces a bit and thickens up.
- Add the crispy bacon back to the pan and stir to combine (feel free to reserve some for topping when you serve).
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped fresh herbs.