I am rejoicing the end of my least favorite month. Peace out, January. Bring on February!
Sickness has taken it’s toll on our family this winter so far. Dan spent all of December and a good chunk of January with pneumonia that just wouldn’t quit. Kieran and I were both afflicted with colds and stomach bugs. But now! Dare I tempt fate? We are all healthy again.
The baby is due in four weeks (holy crap), and I’m praying and hoping that we are through the worst of the winter sickness at this point. We’ve paid our penance, as far as I’m concerned.
Despite it being a rough go these past couple months, I still have some fun favorites to share with you all! These posts are making me so happy at the end of each month. It’s fun to reflect back on the positive in each month, even if it is just the small things.
- First up: the Yeti 30 oz tumbler. Guys, I have wanted one of these for forever. I was gifted one for Christmas, and I have used it every. single. day. I drink a TON of water anyway (like 100+ oz a day), and pregnancy has just amped that up. I’m sure breastfeeding will take it up another notch. I ended up buying a second one so I could rotate them. Oh, and I also got the straw lid because I drink 95% of things through a straw. It amazes me that this can keep my water cold for hours. I put ice water in it before bed and when I wake up in the morning, the ice hasn’t melted yet. I love icy cold water, and this has made my dreams come true.
- Kopari coconut oil deodorant. This is a fun addition to my routine. I have been on the hunt for a more natural deodorant for years now. I’ve tried a bunch and usually don’t like them either because of their texture/consistency or lack of effectiveness. The fact is, most of them flat out don’t work. But this one has been wonderful! I’ve raved about this brand in the past (I love everything I’ve tried of theirs – especially the shower scrub and coconut melt), and this addition just adds to my enthusiasm!
- Lysol sanitizing laundry detergent. OK, this is a weird one, I know, but this was NECESSARY in our house these past couple months. With all the sickness going around (pneumonia, common colds, stomach viruses, etc), I wanted to make sure that I was able to thoroughly get the bacteria/viruses out of our bedding. Also, Kieran is at a stage where he is wetting the bed with some regularity (overnight potty training tips, anyone??), and I feel better knowing that his sheets are ACTUALLY clean after an accident. Having a puppy who dirties his fair share of blankets is also a factor. Normally, I don’t use anything with fragrance because of Kieran’s eczema/super sensitive skin, but this is the one exception. Bonus: both Dan and I think that it makes our sheets extra crispy for longer. I LIVE for crispy bed sheets! They are one of life’s greatest but simplest pleasures.
- These chicken taco enchiladas have been in our dinner rotation lately. I’ve made them three times in the past month or so. They are a riff on our all-time favorite chicken nachos, and I forgot how good they are! Plus, for me, any dinner that feeds us for more than one night is a winner. These have been a fantastic rediscovery as of late.
- Nivea In-Shower Lotion. I have been using this ever since having Kieran, aka, when “me time” came at a premium. I was finding myself rushing out of the shower and not moisturizing the way I should. I needed something to get the job done easier and faster. Enter this lotion. It has been a real mom lifesaver. I have been slathering it on heavily this winter, and it saves me so much time. I know that this will continue to be a huge lifesaver once the baby arrives!
- Apple air pods. Dan got me these for Christmas, and I finally understand what all the hype is about! I love that I can walk around the house with these in and don’t have to worry about wires or carrying my phone with me. They’ve been great for music and podcasts. Definitely a “nice to have” and not a necessity, but I have been loving them.
- Speaking of music, ever since seeing the movie a few months ago, I can’t stop listening to the A Star Is Born soundtrack. I am still astounded that Bradley Cooper can do all that he does in terms of singing, playing instruments, etc. He’s my ultimate celebrity crush. And Lady Gaga is everything. That’s not something I thought I would ever say, but she is freaking amazing in that movie. Definitely one of the most hauntingly sad movies I’ve seen in years. The music makes me cry almost every time I listen to it. I blame the pregnancy hormones.
- DPHue Apple Cider Vinegar hair rinse. I have been using this for a year or so now, and I love it. I have very thick, coarse hair and I only need to wash it twice a week. This stuff is an amazing first step in the shower before shampooing. Supposedly you can use it INSTEAD of shampoo, but I really like to get a deep clean and I don’t think this would do it on its own given how thick my hair is. This gets all the oil off my scalp and leaves everything feeling refreshed and lovely without stripping my hair of essential oils. I LOVE IT. It’s a luxury item, for sure, but I love what it does for my hair.
- Nest grapefruit candle. I have been burning this nonstop since the holidays were over. It’s a lovely, refreshing, and mostly neutral scent that I can’t get enough of. I love anything citrusy, and this is a candle I can see myself burning all year. It’s awesome. Also, even though Nest candles are expensive, I find that they last longer than any other candle brand I’ve tried. After I burn a Yankee Candle or Bath & Body Works candle for a couple hours, I feel like half the wax evaporates! They just burn so quickly. The Nest candles last so much longer, which kind of justifies the price for me.
- I have been reading more lately than I have had time for in awhile. I’ve always been a bookworm but have struggled to prioritize reading since having a kid. I’m a walking cliche over here, people. I just finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo in record time and loved every second of it. It felt like I was reading a true celebrity autobiography. I just started Michelle Obama’s book and am loving it so far.
The next time I write one of these favorites posts, we’ll have a new addition to our family. My plan for February is to relax and rest and soak up as much time with Kieran as an only child as possible. It’s so bittersweet. I can’t wait for him to have a sibling (and to have another squishy baby love in the house), but when I think about how it will never be just the three of us again, I could cry (and often do!). I know these are all normal feelings, but with my due date so quickly approaching, all the emotions are extra raw right now.
So! My goal is just to soak up every second and try to take it easy before the newborn madness sets in. It’s been four years since I’ve had a newborn, and I know it will be a shock to my system all over again. I can’t wait.