Ask and you shall receive.
If you follow along on Instagram, you may have seen a bubbly blueberry crisp make an appearance on my stories this past weekend. Within minutes of me posting it, several of you asked for a recipe.
I took a poll and almost 90% of you guys said you wanted the recipe on the blog, so here we are! I give you blueberry almond crisp! AKA, probably the best fruit crisp I’ve ever made.
Here’s the thing, crisps and crumbles are not rocket science. Most of the time, I think they work without a recipe. They’re really hard to screw up! BUT I am happy to share what I do with mine – especially since this blueberry almond version came out exceedingly well. Let’s just say, I was more than happy to make this more than once in a weekend.
Right now, the blueberries are insanely sweet and plump. I get excited when I see them in the store, which is exactly how this crisp came to be. I got a little bit TOO excited last week and bought too many pints of berries. These babies were going to perish in the fridge unless I baked them into something.
When it comes to desserts, I lean heavily toward cookies and brownies or just about anything with dark chocolate. Fruit crisps? Not high on my list, believe it or not. But I decided to give it a go because I had all the ingredients on hand (along with some vanilla bean ice cream in the freezer. DESTINY!).
One bite into this gloriously juicy and sweet berry crisp, and I was a converted woman. I am full-on obsessed with this crisp and will likely make it time and time again while the berries are in season.
The filling is sweet and succulent but not TOO sweet; the berries sort of pop and burst in your mouth as you chew. So, so good. And the crumble topping? TO DIE FOR. Admittedly, I usually get more excited for the crisp/crumble topping than anything else, so I might be a bit partial to this part of the recipe. It’s so simple but a doozy just the same!
Along with the usual ingredients of flour, sugar, and butter, I tossed in some oats, slivered almonds, and spices. The result? A nutty, warmly spiced, perfectly sweet crumble topping. I may put it on all my crisps going forward. It’s that good.
Something I DO love about fruit crisps is how simple they are to throw together and how quickly you can have a hot, piping treat. I popped this in the oven as we sat down to eat dinner, and by the time we were done, we could have hot fruit crisp a la mode!
Which, in my humble opinion, is the only way to do fruit crisps. The cold ice cream on top is KEY.
Gosh, just talking about this is making me sad I don’t have any berries left for another crisp. I may be stopping at the store later today to remedy that!
This blueberry almond crisp is bursting with summer berry goodness and comes together in one bowl!
For the Filling:
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the Topping:
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
Ice cream, for serving
For the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Toss the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, extracts, salt, and lemon zest/juice in a large bowl until well combined. Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie dish or baking dish. Set aside.
For the Topping:
- Mix the flour, oats, almonds, sugars, salt, and spices in the same bowl used for the berries.
- Add in the cold butter and mix with your fingers until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is crumbly.
- Top the berries with the flour mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the topping is golden brown and crisp in spots.
- Serve warm and topped with vanilla ice cream.
- Category: dessert
Keywords: summer dessert, one bowl, one bowl desserts, blueberry almond desserts, blueberry crisp