I am in need of some easy weeknight comfort these days.
We’ve had SUCH a busy month so far, and the end isn’t in sight anytime in October.
Kieran started school at the beginning of the month, and while we’re getting into a rhythm, it is still taking some getting used to. Finn also started solid foods this month, and that has been a fun adventure, but it’s another thing I have to think out and plan for. Kieran is playing flag football every week, with a couple weeknight practices thrown into the mix. We also just had a ton of family in town this past week/weekend for Finn’s christening this past Sunday.
All good (wonderful!) things, but being so busy really takes a toll on this naturally introverted virgo. Not only do social situations drain me easily (not that I don’t enjoy them – I do! But they exhaust me at the same time), but I also crave control and order in our daily lives. All of the changes lately, along with weekly events, have had an impact. And they’ve totally killed my weeknight dinner game.
As an example, Dan and I had back-to-school night last night and when we got home, we were starving. Dinner consisted of cheese and pepperoni. Hah. Not ideal but it did the trick.
I usually meal plan for the week and do my grocery shopping accordingly. Because of family visiting and all the entertaining we were doing, I completely ran out of time this weekend to do any sort of meal planning. I’m scrambling a bit this week to make mealtime work.
If you’re anything like me or have had a lot on your figurative plate lately, allow me to introduce a delicious thing to put on your LITERAL plate. See what I did there?
This garlic brown sugar roast chicken is a winner. A winner winner chicken dinner, for sure.
I love making a big main protein like this because it feeds us for a couple nights and only requires a simple veggie side (salad, roast veg, etc) to make it feel like a true meal. This chicken is fabulously delicious and really easy to make. Two of my favorite things about any recipe.
I buy a package of a broken-down whole chicken and make an easy and flavor-packed rub to slather all over the chicken. Garlic, brown sugar, honey, and some herbs do major magic here. I rub it all over the chicken and then pop the whole thing in the oven to roast until golden, crisp, and utterly mouthwateringly juicy.
Waiting really is the hardest part of this recipe.
And it’s exactly what busy seasons call for!
This garlic brown sugar chicken roasts up tender, juicy, and loaded with savory-sweet flavor! It’s an easy (life-saving!) weeknight meal!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced (roughly 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the pan
- Fresh chives or parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and remove your chicken from the fridge. Set the chicken on a baking sheet lined with paper towels and pat the pieces dry. Allow to sit at room temperature while the oven preheats.
- While the oven preheats and your chicken sits, make the rub by combining the minced garlic, brown sugar, honey, garlic powder, dried herbs, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add enough olive oil to moisten the mixture so that it is of a spreadable consistency.
- Drizzle the bottom of a roasting pan or baking dish with olive oil and place the chicken pieces in the dish.
- Rub the garlic brown sugar mixture all over the chicken, coating it evenly.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and roast for another 10-15 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the chicken registers an internal temperature of 165F on a meat thermometer (check a few different pieces of the chicken).
- Cool slightly and then garnish with chopped chives or herbs. Serve warm with the pan juices drizzled over top.
- Category: chicken
Keywords: roast chicken, roast chicken recipe, easy roast chicken, garlic and brown sugar chicken, garlic chicken, garlic roast chicken, easy chicken dinner