This monthly favorites post is a bid tardy, but we’ve had so much going on lately, this is the first chance I’ve had to sit and write it up.
Is it weird to say that I feel busier since leaving my job? I feel like I have more going on now than I did when I was also working? It has finally sunk in that I’m not on a prolonged vacation or taking a leave from work. It feels real that I am not going back. It’s been just over a month now, and I have to say, the adjustment hasn’t been as jarring as I was anticipating. Yes, sometimes I miss it. I definitely miss the people! But commuting into the city and doing the work I was doing? That part I think I’m OK with leaving behind. I’ve said this before, but it wasn’t so much that I didn’t enjoy what I was doing, but more so that I felt like I had accomplished all that I needed to at that job. 14 years is a long time. I was ready for a new chapter.
And that chapter has led me to taking care of my family full time (which I am loving so far), and focusing on freelance opportunities in the realms of recipe development and food photography services. Oh, and of course, producing new content for this blog! All these things are keeping me busy and very, very fulfilled.
The kids have had a lot going on this past month. Kieran started kindergarten. Finn started solid foods. Kieran turned 5. Finn is now 7 months old. Kieran is playing flag football, his first true organized sport, and he loves it. I’m convinced Finn is close to crawling already. He desperately wants to follow Kieran and the dogs around, and he scoots around on his belly already. I am excited to see him develop and change, but man, I don’t know if I’m ready for two kids on the move! Hah.
All in all, as busy as it feels, life is good. I have some favorites from this past month to tell you about. I’m excited about these!
- First up is this Sunday Riley Good Genes lactic acid treatment. I’ve been hearing rave reviews about this product for years, and I finally bit the bullet (along with some help with a gift card) and treated myself to a bottle. Holy moly. This stuff is amazing. I’m still battling postpartum melasma and hyperpigmentation, along with some other fun hormonal changes in my skin. I use this treatment a couple nights a week and it is working wonders on my overall skin clarity. It’s clearing up congestion in my pores (visibly!) and my darker spots seem lighter after each use. This is an investment piece in the world of skincare, but I highly recommend it! I had high expectations for it, and it has met or exceeded all of them.
- For my birthday, I bought myself this beautiful Le Creuset skillet and I’ve been loving it! It holds the heat evenly and beautifully, and nothing sticks to the surface! You’ve probably seen it in a few blog photos as of late – it’s as gorgeous as it is functional!
- Athleta leggings! I have only heard wonderful things about Athleta, but like lululemon, I was never in the right frame of mind to spend so much on athleisure. Well, now I work from home and tend to my kids full time, so athleisure is where it’s at! I had a gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket, so I splurged on two pairs of leggings: these and these. Not only are they ridiculously comfy and supportive, but they’re cute too! I love the mesh and laser cut details. It sounds silly, but these are like “dress leggings” to me. Haha.
- Another clothing discovery this past month has been the Amazon Essentials line for basics like tank tops. I have a few of these tank tops, which are amazing for layering and also long enough to wear with leggings (aka, they cover your butt), and I just got this super cute mock turtleneck sweatshirt. The quality is FANTASTIC, especially considering the price point, and I love that they are just simple, basic pieces that you can wear in so many different ways and with so many different outfits. LOVE. I wore the sweatshirt this past weekend while attending Kieran’s flag football game and two people complimented me on it! And it’s a $20 piece! Love that.
- These jogger pants have been a game changer for me this past month as well. They are an awesome alternative to leggings or jeans (both of which I basically live in now), and I can dress them up or keep them super casual for grocery store runs or bus stop pick-ups. Dan and I went out for our wedding anniversary two weeks ago, and I dressed these up with a sparkly top and heels. So versatile and most importantly: SO FREAKING COMFY.
- Speaking of our wedding anniversary, we finally got to see Hamilton! OMG. It was so, so good. And fun! And unique. I definitely, definitely get the hype. Dan and I were walking around for days humming the songs. Such a special night out!
- So, I tried the incredibly hyped-up Starbucks pumpkin cold brew this month. I wasn’t expecting to like it at all, to be honest. Pumpkin spice lattes are not my fave, and I figured it would just taste like that. But it doesn’t! It’s delicious and fun, but still something I would view as a treat. It’s way too sweet for me to drink on a daily basis.
- One thing that has been on repeat these past few weeks: this cinnamon apple cider crush cocktail! You guys. It’s my new fave thing. It’s refreshing and cozy at the same time. Tastes like fall in a glass! They are delicious virgin, too, in case you were wondering!
And that about covers it! I have some DELICIOUS things headed your way this month so visit back frequently for the goods. Lots of coziness is coming your way! Happy October, friends!