These Turkey & Greens Lasagna Rolls are lightened up comfort food loaded with protein, fiber, and whole grains. They’re filled with lean turkey, dark leafy greens, and made with whole wheat lasagna noodles. All the comfort with none of the guilt! These lasagna rolls are proof that healthy can taste great.
- 1 box whole grain lasagna noodles (roughly 15 noodles)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 lb ground lean turkey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and roughly chopped (roughly 4 cups)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 (15-oz) container ricotta cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup store-bought basil pesto
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional parmesan cheese, for serving
- Chives or fresh herbs, chopped, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions (usually 7-8 minutes). Drain the noodles and spread out on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Saute the onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, dried herbs, and ground turkey and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon or spatula, for 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine and then add in the greens. Cook, stirring frequently, until the greens are wilted and soft, about 8 minutes. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, parmesan, and pesto. Add the cooled turkey-greens mixture and stir to combine. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary BEFORE stirring in the egg. Mix the egg in until well incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and lightly oil or spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. I just drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom and spread it out with a spoon. Spread roughly half of the marinara on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread roughly 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture on each lasagna noodle and then carefully roll the noodles up lengthwise to form a roll. Place the rolls, seam side down, in the baking dish. Finish forming all the rolls.
- Spoon the remaining marinara over top of the rolls.
- Top the marinara with the shredded mozzarella and another light grating of parmesan cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbling, and golden brown.
- Allow the lasagna rolls to cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese and fresh chives/herbs before serving.
- Category: pasta
Keywords: healthy lasagna recipe, turkey and greens lasagna, healthy lasagna, whole grain pasta recipe, healthy comfort food, ground turkey recipes