This Fajita Roast Chicken has all the flavors of your favorite chicken fajitas but in a much simpler form!
- 1 (5-lb) whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lime zested and quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and place the chicken in a baking dish. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season the chicken inside and outside with some salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together the spices, salt, pepper, and lime zest.
- Drizzle the olive oil all over the outside of the chicken. Rub the spice mixture all over the inside and outside of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Baste the chicken all over with any pan juices that have accumulated.
- Add the quartered lime, bell peppers, and onions to the roasting pan. Season with a little salt and pepper and then return the pan to the oven to roast for another hour, basting again.
- At this point, check the internal temperature of the chicken using a meat thermometer. If it registers 165°F, it is ready. If not, keep roasting, basting and checking the temperature every 15 minutes or until the thermometer reads 165°F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with cooked rice and the peppers and onions from the pan.
- Category: chicken
Keywords: roast chicken recipe, fajita roast chicken, chicken fajitas recipe, comfort food, easy meals, meal prep, chicken recipes