I am off from work today in honor of MLK day, and I’m celebrating with muffins. Fluffy, spicy, and nutty muffins.
I adore pistachios. They are one of the best nuts, in my opinion. I usually just eat them plain, simply roasted and salted…but lately, I’ve been trying to come up with ways to incorporate them into meals. Pistachio ice cream, by the way, doesn’t count as a meal…in some people’s books. I, however, could eat it every day for dinner and never get sick of it. It’s one of those ice cream flavors I didn’t come to appreciate until I was an adult. As a kid, it was rainbow sherbet, mint chocolate chip, and cookie dough. All the way.
I also adore Chai tea. It’s SUCH a comforting combo of flavors. I thought it would pair perfectly with the nuttiness of pistachios. Spicy and nutty. Yes.
I am normally an absolutely-no-nuts-in-my-baked-goods person. I mean, there is NOTHING worse than nuts in brownies or cookies. Blech. They just don’t belong. I don’t like walnuts or pecans anywhere near my banana muffins, either. So, these muffins are a bit of a departure for me. I have to say, the pistachios are not at all obnoxious in these muffins. They just work so perfectly with the spices of Chai and they are actually pretty tender as far as nuts go. I was pleasantly surprised.
These muffins bake up so fluffy and moist, they almost remind me of a cupcake. They are the perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee or tea. Which is exactly how I’m going to enjoy them this morning. I suggest you do the same.
These pistachio chai muffins bake up fluffy and sweet with the cozy flavors of chai and sweet nuttiness of pistachios. The lemon glaze drizzled over top brightens up all the flavors!
For the Muffins:
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk (or buttermilk)
For the Glaze:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin pan or line the cups with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, spices, flax, lemon zest, and half of the chopped pistachios in a large bowl.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and oil and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract.
- Alternately add in the dry ingredients and the milk, mixing after each addition. Do not overmix the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle the remaining pistachios over the top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden and set. Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove to cool on a wire rack.
For the Glaze:
- Whisk together the lemon juice and sugar until smooth.
- Lightly drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins.
- Category: breakfast
Keywords: pistachio chai muffin, chai muffin, pistachio muffin, pistachio muffin recipe, lemon glaze