Hi! How was your weekend? What did you do?
Aside from wallowing in there’s-still-snow-on-the-ground-and-it’s-spring sorrow, I dealt with a sick husband and obsessed over trying to contain his germs as to not infect myself and my 6-month-old baby. It wasn’t as bad as it sounds. Yes, my grown-ass husband turns into a helpless child when sick (don’t they all?), but he was a good patient this time around.
We watched many a March Madness game, ate homemade mac-and-cheese (a sick hubby request), and snuggled up as much as possible without spreading the sickness. It’s fun to spend a weekend at home doing NOTHING every now and then…especially since Kieran is at SUCH a fun age right now. All I want to do is sit and watch him. Man, no one tells you that the whole parenting thing just keeps getting better and better. As much as I want time to STOP RIGHT NOW, and as much as I miss his teeny tiny 8-lb newborn body, I am loving every new thing that this kid does. It’s like…my heart explodes and I am filled with so much pride and excitement…just because he grabs onto a toy and purposefully brings it to his mouth. Big stuff, people (Yeah, I’m one of those parents now. Imagine how I’ll be when he starts WALKING or TALKING. Goodness).
Anyway. One of the sick hubby requests was homemade pizza. I told him he had to pick between mac-and-cheese and pizza…because I’m mean (and busy with a baby!). He went with the mac-and-cheese. Can’t blame him. This pizza, however, was a close second.
Have you ever had “hot & honey” buffalo wings? They are sooOOOOoooo good. All the stuff I love about buffalo sauce but with the added sweetness and syrupy goodness of honey. OMGYUM. I love them.
I also love buffalo chicken everything. But we know this already. Putting it on pizza is not something ground breaking, and it may not even sound that exciting…but promise me you’ll try it with the “hot & honey” sauce!? Please. It is heavenly.
If you aren’t nursing a sick hubby back to health and taking care of an infant all while trying to keep up with personal hygiene and household chores, go ahead and make homemade dough. Go you. Ever since I had the baby, I have been taking full advantage of my grocery store’s pre-made dough. Totally worth it. Not apologizing for it, either. Do what works for you.
Top your choice of dough with loads of cheese, hot & honey sauce, and shredded chicken and pop it in the oven. Bake until crispy and gooey and then top with fresh herbs and scallions. DO NOT SKIP THIS PART. I swear, it makes the whole pizza. Do it, do it, do it! Slice and serve as soon as you can tolerate the heat of said sauce and cheese. I may have burnt my mouth on this…a couple times.
“Hot & Honey” Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
For the Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
For the Pizza:
- 1-lb ball pizza dough
- Flour, for rolling out the dough
- Cornmeal, for pizza peel
- The remaining honeyed buffalo sauce
- The shredded buffalo chicken
- 2½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh scallions, chopped
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
For the Chicken:
- Heat the oil and 1 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. When the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes per side, until golden and cooked through. Remove from heat and once cool enough to handle, shred or chop the chicken.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining butter, buffalo sauce, honey, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Toss the shredded chicken with half of the sauce. Reserve the remaining sauce for the pizza.
For the Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 475°F and place a pizza stone (if using) on the middle rack. Roll the dough out to desired thickness and transfer to a pizza peel lined with cornmeal. If not using a pizza stone, liberally oil a baking sheet and place the rolled out dough on the sheet.
- Evenly spread the remaining honey-buffalo sauce over the dough and then evenly distribute the chicken over top. Top with the cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the pizza dough is crispy and golden and the cheese is bubbly and browning in spots. Allow to cool slightly, garnish with fresh scallions and herbs, slice, and serve.
Matt Robinson says
What an absolutely awesome pizza!!
Thanks, Matt! It is incredibly delicious!
Erin @ Miss Scrambled Egg says
Men are always wanting to be coddled when they’re sick! It’s a good thing we’re kind enough to cater to their requests. 🙂 This buffalo chicken pizza looks amazing. Usually, buffalo chicken pizza is our go-to choice for those nights when I’m craving comfort food, but this hot and honey version is something that I’ve never seen before. I must have it in my life!
Do it! It’s so good. Thanks, Erin!
Doug K says
Molly what type of store bought pizza crust do you use? Is it the ones in the tubes by the cresent rolls or do they have some in another part of the store. The crust and pizza look amazing…..I will be making this during the week….can’t wait…Thanks
hi Doug! I usually buy the dough that’s in the freezer section. It’s a ball of fresh dough that you just let defrost in the fridge until you are ready to use it. Sometimes they have it fresh in the deli department. If you can’t find it, then you could get it from your local pizza shop. I think most are happy to sell you just the dough. Hope that helps! Enjoy the pizza!
I like to eat pizza It was great food
Made this tonight and oh my GOSH!! It’s killer!! I had to use the pilsbury canned dough cause of not having enough time to make any and my local grocery store stopped carrying th frozen dough. But it was still AH-mazing!! I can’t wait to try it with homemade dough next!
Hooray! Thanks for the comment, Misty! SO glad you enjoyed it! It’s one of our faves.