- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups trimmed and halved brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the diced bacon. Cook until the bacon is rendered and crispy.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings (you can save for another use!) and add the butter to the drippings remaining in the pan.
- Add the diced onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 15 minutes, or until beginning to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, place the brussels on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Roast until charred in spots and tender, toss around on the pan, and roast for roughly 10 minutes more.
- Once the onion is golden brown and caramelized, add in the garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, and balsamic.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the balsamic vinegar is mostly reduced and the mixture is thickened and glossy. Taste carefully and season with salt and pepper.
- Take the crispy brussels sprouts out of the oven and pour over the balsamic caramelized onion mixture. Toss around on the tray until the brussels are evenly coated. Stir in the crispy bacon.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve while warm.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: side dish
Keywords: balsamic bacon roasted brussels sprouts, roasted balsamic brussels sprouts with bacon, caramelized onion and bacon brussels sprouts