This Bacon Butternut Squash Soup with Crispy Shallots is a fall dream! Creamy, spiced butternut squash soup is flavored with bacon, warm sage, spices, and coconut milk. Serve this up with crispy bacon and crisped shallots and the flavors and textures will sing! A must make in the cooler months.
For the Soup:
- 4 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (2-inch) piece of parmesan cheese rind (see note)
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (15-oz) can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Shallots:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 shallots, sliced into rings
For the Soup:
- Crisp the bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once crispy, remove from the pot and set aside (we will save the bacon for garnish when it’s time to serve).
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Add the butter (or coconut oil) to the drippings and heat over medium.
- Once the butter/oil is melted, add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, sage, and spices. Cook for another minute and then add the wine, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the bottom of the pot. Cook until the wine is mostly evaporated.
- Add the cheese rind, squash, and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes or until the squash is very tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the cheese rind and discard.
- Puree the soup until smooth using a standard blender (in batches) or with an immersion blender. Return the pot to medium-low heat and slowly stir in the coconut milk. Warm through and check for seasonings.
For the Shallots:
- While the soup is simmering, heat the oil over medium in a small skillet until shimmering.
- Add the shallots in batches (I do them in three batches) and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-4 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with salt. They will crisp as they cool.
Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle in a swirl of coconut milk (optional but pretty), a sprinkling of fresh thyme, and top with the crispy bacon and shallots.
- I save the rinds of parmesan cheese hunks and keep them in my freezer. They add a special nutty flavor to long-simmering soups and sauces. If you don’t have a rind on hand, feel free to grate ¼ cup of parmesan cheese into the soup at the end.
- The crispy shallots are a completely optional addition. They add a wonderful texture to the otherwise creamy soup while highlighting the savory flavors. That said, the soup is delicious without them if you don’t want to take the extra steps to make them.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: soup
Keywords: Bacon Butternut Squash Soup with Crispy Shallots, Bacon Butternut Squash Soup, butternut squash coconut milk soup, butternut squash soup with bacon