This Beef & Three-Bean Chili is everything you love about traditional chili. Warm spices, hearty flavors, beef, and three kinds of beans — it’s classic and wonderful! I love to load my chili up with all the toppings, too! This recipe makes a lot – which makes great for tailgates or parties!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28-oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen corn (I used fresh – about 4 ears)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Chopped scallions
- Diced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large pot and add the ground beef. Cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is browned and mostly cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef from the pot and pour off the drippings.
- Return the pot to the heat and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and stir to combine.
- Return the beef to the pot. Season with salt and pepper, partially cover the pot, and allow the chili to simmer over low heat for 3 hours, occasionally stirring.
- Add the beans to the pot. Partially cover and simmer for another hour.
- At this point, add the corn and check for seasonings (I find that chili is one of those “taste as you go” things. You may find that adjusting the spices and salt levels will be necessary throughout the cooking process). Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the chili garnished with desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: chili
Keywords: beef and bean chili, beef and three-bean chili, traditional beef and bean chili, football chili recipes