For the Bagels:
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoon barley malt syrup, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar, for water bath
- 1 large egg white, beaten with a splash of water
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or coarse salt for topping
Option 1: Bacon, Egg, & Cheese
- Strips of bacon, crisped
- Sliced cheese (cheddar, American, etc)
- Cooked eggs (fried, poached, scrambled)
Option 2: Orange-Honey Cream Cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Zest of 1 orange
- Pinch of fine salt
Option 3: Lox, Arugula, & Pickled Radish
- Cream Cheese
- Baby arugula
- Pickled Radishes
For the Radishes:
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
For the Bagels:
- Combine the yeast and water in the bowl of a stand mixer and let sit until frothy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the barley malt syrup and mix on low for 10 minutes. The dough should be stiff and will hold is shape when the mixer is stopped. Remove the dough from the bowl, oil the bowl lightly, and then return the dough to the oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for 1½-2 hours.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface, and divide it into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover the balls with a damp towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F and bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Add the remaining malt syrup and the sugar to the water once it is simmering.
- Poke a hole through the center of each dough ball and then twirl the dough around your finger to stretch the hole to about 2 inches in diameter. Return the formed bagels to the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Boil the bagels in batches (I did 2-3 at a time) for 2 minutes per side. Return the boiled bagels to the prepared baking sheet. Once all the bagels are boiled, brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Bake the bagels for 15 minutes, rotate the baking sheet, and then bake for another 10-15 minutes or until they are deeply golden brown and crisp. Cool completely before slicing.
For the Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Bagel:
- Slice bagel in half and top with slices of cooked bacon, sliced cheese, and cooked egg. Wrap lightly in tin foil and bake for 5-7 minutes in a 350°F oven until warmed through and gooey. Eat immediately.
For the Honey-Orange Cream Cheese:
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the cream cheese until well blended and smooth. Spread on toasted, sliced bagels.
For the Radishes:
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and peppercorns in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Meanwhile, place the sliced radishes in a heatproof jar or bowl. Pour the hot liquid over the radishes and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes. Transfer to the refrigerator if using at a later time.
For the Lox & Arugula Bagel with Pickled Radishes:
- Slice and toast a bagel to desired doneness and then spread with cream cheese. Layer lox, baby arugula, and the pickled radishes on top. Sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper and serve.