For One Mocha:
- 1 large peppermint patty, finely chopped
- 2 oz hot espresso (or strong coffee)
- 8 oz steamed milk with foam (see NOTES below)
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- Additional chopped peppermint patties
- Fresh mint
- Place the chopped peppermint patty into the bottom of a large mug. Pour the hot espresso into the mug and stir for a few seconds to melt the peppermint patty into the hot espresso.
- Top with the steamed milk and foam. Garnish with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and/or additional chopped peppermint patties.
- I find that using one peppermint patty is plenty sweet for my taste, but if a sweeter drink is desired, stir in a teaspoon or two of sugar or simple syrup (or up the amount of peppermint patty you put in the mug). All coffee beverages are definitely TO TASTE!
- I have a fancy-schmancy milk frother machine as well as a Nespresso with a built-in milk frothing option, so making steamed milk at home is a breeze. If you do NOT have either of these options (which I didn’t for many years), you can make your own steamed milk by heating it in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking it almost constantly. As it gets hot, the whisking will create a sort of foam on top. Once hot and foamy, carefully pour the milk, while holding the accumulated surface foam back with your whisk/spoon, into the cup with your espresso and gently spoon the foam on top. Also: I have found that milk with lower fat content (skim or 1%) works best with this method.