- ½ cup fresh watermelon juice (instructions below)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- ½ cup vodka or gin
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup (See NOTE)
- Coarse salt, for rimming glasses
- Frozen watermelon slices
- Grapefruit slices
- Fresh mint sprigs
- For the watermelon juice, place roughly 2 cups of cubed watermelon (peeled and seeded) in a blender or food processor. Pulse until completely smooth. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl or cup. Place in the fridge to chill. Chill all other ingredients as well.
- Fill a shaker with ice and add the watermelon juice, grapefruit juice, vodka/gin, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for a few seconds to mix and chill the ingredients.
- Rim two glasses with coarse salt and fill with ice. Divide the mixture between the two glasses and garnish with frozen watermelon wedges, grapefruit slices, and even a sprig or two of mint, as desired. Serve immediately!
- Simple syrup is optional here. I found that the drink still needed a little sweetness, so I added it a tablespoon or so at a time until I got it where I wanted it. If you’re using really sweet watermelon, though, you may not need any syrup at all. It’s definitely a preference-based thing!
- To make simple syrup, combine equal parts sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cool completely and then store in an airtight container in the fridge. Use as needed!