For the Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground tumeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 2 large red onions, peeled and cut into large wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pita or Naan bread, warmed
- Tzatziki sauce, store bought or homemade
For the Chicken:
- Set your slow cooker to the “sear or brown” setting (alternatively, if your slow cooker doesn’t have this option, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat). Add the olive oil.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add, in batches, to the slow cooker/pan. Cook until browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the browned chicken thighs and set on a plate. Reduce the slow cooker setting to LOW (if using the pan method, still set your slow cooker to LOW now. You will not need the pan again).
- While the chicken is searing, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, spices, salt, pepper, and chicken broth in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker and then add in the browned chicken thighs, any juices that may have accumulated on the plate, and the onion wedges. Toss to combine everything.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, shred or chop the chicken and onions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Season with a pinch of salt. Add the romaine, cucumber, scallions, and cilantro and gently toss until everything is lightly coated in the dressing. Transfer the salad to a large platter.
- Serve the chicken and onions on the side of the salad, on the same platter, along with the tzatziki sauce and warmed pita/naan bread.