For the Chicken:
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- ½ lb ground chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- The cooked taco-spice chicken
- 1½ cups shredded or finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped pickled jalapeños (or to taste)
- ½ cup halved or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup grated Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (or a combo of the two)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing, plus more for serving
- 4 ripe but firm avocados, halved and pitted
For the Chicken:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once it is hot, add the chicken and begin breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add the spices and pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, tossing almost constantly, or until all the chicken is crumbled up and cooked through. If the skillet gets too dry, add a splash of water during the cooking process.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the chicken mixture to a mixing bowl. Add in the lettuce, onion, jalapeños, tomatoes, scallions, and cheese.
- Stir the ingredients together gently until they are evenly combined.
- Juice in the lime and add the ranch dressing and toss everything to evenly coat.
- Spoon the mixture into the avocado halves and spritz again with lime juice. Drizzle with additional ranch (optional) and serve!
- To make this even easier, you can use store-bought pre-packaged taco spice mix instead of the individual spices. It’s cheaper to make your own mix at home, but in a pinch, store-bought is certainly fine!
- Feel free to make these your own! Add your favorite nacho/taco ingredients. There’s a lot of room for creativity here.