- 1 lb orecchiette pasta (or other short pasta like penne, fusilli, etc)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
- 4 oz goat cheese (at room temperature, if possible)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh herbs, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta, according to the package directions, until el dente. When the pasta is ready, scoop out 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the shallots. Cook for a minute and then add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add the brussels sprouts and a splash of water and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until they are tender.
- Add the pasta to the skillet with the brussels sprouts. Add the goat cheese, lemon zest and juice, and ¾ cup of the parmesan.
- Toss the mixture until everything is evenly coated and well combined, adding a splash of pasta water here and there to keep things loose enough and creamy.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve the pasta hot, garnished with the remaining parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.