These healthy chicken tinga taco bowls make for an easy, satisfying dinner! They come together quickly and work well for meal prepping! All the main components can be made ahead.
For the Chicken:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 (15-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Bowls:
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream/yogurt
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Chicken:
- Place the chicken in a large skillet and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cover with enough water so the chicken is submerged by 1 inch. Place over medium-high heat and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, blend the onion, garlic, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, sugar, and oregano in your blender until completely pureed and smooth.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Drain the water from the skillet, wipe out, and then return to the stove.
- Add the oil to the skillet and place over medium heat. Add the blended sauce to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. The sauce should reduce and thicken.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken with your hands or two forks (you can also use your stand mixer to shred cooked chicken – put it in the mixing bowl and shred on low speed with the paddle attachment).
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan, toss to coat in the sauce, and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
For the Taco Bowls:
- Combine the cabbage, corn, and lime juice in a large bowl. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- For each taco bowl, layer some of the cooked rice, cabbage/corn slaw, tinga chicken, shredded cheese, avocado slices, and salsa and/or sour cream. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
The idea here is to give you a protein base for your bowls: the chicken. Customize the other ingredients to make your perfect taco bowl! Swap the rice for cauliflower rice or veggie noodles. Add crushed tortilla chips to the top. Change up the cheese. Add in fajita peppers and onions. Make it your own!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: dinner
Keywords: taco bowls, meal prep, chicken tinga, healthy taco bowls, healthy chicken tinga