These Bruschetta Chicken Burgers are my answer to the winter doldrums – they’re a taste of summer in January! They’re also still in my 80 zone in the 80-20 rule of eating. They look and taste super indulgent, but they’re actually still pretty healthy. Winning on all fronts, I’d say!
For the Bruschetta Topping:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion or shallot
- 1 garlic clove, grated or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Burgers:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- Burger buns or pita pockets
- Fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Baby greens or microgreens (or whatever lettuce you prefer!)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze
For the Topping:
While the burgers are cooking, make the topping by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and seasoning, to taste, with salt and pepper. Let sit for 15-20 minutes while you make the burgers.
For the Burgers:
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ketchup, spices, herbs, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning. It should taste a little over-seasoned – remember, the meat isn’t in the mix yet and we want it to be super flavorful.
- Fold in the chicken until it is just incorporated, trying not to overwork the meat.
- Divide the mixture into fourths and form four burger patties. Place the burgers in the hot oil and cook for 5 minutes per side.
- Top each hot burger with a slice of fresh mozzarella and then carefully transfer to burger buns or pita pockets.
- Top the burgers with the bruschetta mixture, greens, more basil, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
- Category: burgers
Keywords: bruschetta chicken burgers, bruschetta topping, healthy burger recipes, healthy chicken burgers, fresh mozzarella burger, caprese burger recipe, healthy chicken recipes