This Mac & Cheese With Prosciutto Sage Breadcrumbs is a decadent main course or side dish ideal for the holiday season! Creamy, rich, flavored with three cheeses, and topped off with a crazy-good mixture of sage, brown butter, crispy prosciutto, and breadcrumbs!
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2¾ cups milk (2% or whole work best)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 oz gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 oz parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb short pasta shape of choice, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the prosciutto slices out in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, checking often, or until the prosciutto is slightly shriveled and crisp in spots.
- Remove from the oven and allow the prosciutto to cool on the baking sheet – it will continue to crisp as it cools.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in the bottom of a large saucepan. At this point, I also start the water in another pot to cook my pasta.
- Once it is melted, add the sage leaves and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, or until the butter is starting to brown and the sage leaves are crisp. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Place the prosciutto, crispy sage leaves (I reserve a few for garnish later – totally optional), and 2 tablespoons of the sage butter into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to finely chop the prosciutto and sage leaves into crumbs. Mix with the panko breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Return the pot with the remaining sage butter to medium heat. Add in the shallot and cook for a minute or two until the shallot is fragrant and beginning to soften.
- Add the flour and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Slowly and gradually stream in the milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the milk is thickened and creamy enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Stir until the cheeses are completely incorporated and melted. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Stir the cooked pasta noodles into the cheese sauce and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mac and cheese into a buttered 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with the sage-prosciutto breadcrumbs and place in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly, hot, and golden brown on top.
- Right before serving, garnish with any reserved crispy sage leaves. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: mac and cheese
Keywords: baked mac and cheese with breadcrumb topping, sage and crispy prosciutto breadcrumbs, mac and cheese with sage and prosciutto, sage brown butter breadcrumbs