This recipe for our favorite Pasta All’amatriciana is one for the books! Based on the classic Roman dish, this tomato sauce is flavored with crispy pancetta, onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes for some heat. Served simply and quickly without sacrificing an ounce of that amazing flavor! This is a go-to pasta dish in our house!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz pancetta, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb long pasta noodle of choice (we love bucatini for this)
- 1 cup grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Fresh herbs, for garnish (basil or parsley work best)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- While you are waiting for the pasta water to boil, start the sauce in a large skillet by crisping the pancetta in the olive oil.
- Once the pancetta is crisp on all sides, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To the drippings in the pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened and translucent. Add in the red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the sauce over low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir the crispy pancetta back into the sauce after it has simmered, and adjust the seasoning, as needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until it is just shy of el dente (I usually do 2-3 minutes fewer than what the pasta box recommends). Using tongs, place the pasta straight from the water into the tomato sauce. If some of the pasta water gets into the tomato sauce, this is good!
- Stir and toss the pasta in the sauce until every noodle is well coated and the pasta has absorbed some of the sauce.
- Stir in the cheese and fresh herbs, toss again, and then serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: pasta
Keywords: quick and easy pasta all'amatriciana, amatriciana pasta sauce, homemade amatriciana pasta sauce, homemade pasta all'amatriciana