This Sundried Tomato Pesto Caprese Chicken is a flavor-packed and satisfying meal that is ready in 30 minutes or less. Juicy, tender chicken is slathered in a homemade sundried tomato and pistachio pesto and topped off caprese-style with mozzarella cheese. Everything gets baked until ooey and gooey and wonderful! A simple but delicious chicken dinner idea!
For the Sundried Tomato Pesto:
- ⅓ cup shelled, toasted pistachios
- ½ cup jarred sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup oil from the tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine (you can sub low-sodium chicken broth)
- The pesto
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh basil leaves, for serving
For the Pesto:
- Add the pistachios and sundried tomatoes to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse a few times to break down the nuts and tomatoes to a fine dice.
- Add in the oil from the jar of sundried tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, and parmesan cheese and run the machine until desired texture is achieved. I like a mostly smooth pesto.
- Add the basil, along with a pinch of salt and pepper, and pulse a couple more times to incorporate.
- Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed.
For the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and then add them to the hot pan. Sear for 2 minutes per side, or until deeply golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the wine (or chicken broth), scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for a few minutes to allow the liquid to mostly reduce.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the chicken. You want a couple tablespoons for each piece of chicken – any leftover can be saved for serving.
- Top with the sliced mozzarella. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly over top. Season the cheeses with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pan to the hot oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheeses are melty and bubbly.
- Serve hot and garnished with fresh basil leaves. Serve any leftover pesto on the side.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: chicken
Keywords: sundried tomato caprese, sundried tomato pistachio pesto, sundried tomato pesto chicken, sundried tomato pesto caprese chicken, quick and delicious chicken recipes