This Sausage & Peppers Soup is everything you love about the classic sandwich in soup form! Sweet Italian sausage, loads of bell peppers, aromatics, and a touch of wine make this one taste like it has simmered for hours. Serve this topped with mozzarella garlic toasts and you’ll be one happy camper!
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (you can also use spicy)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit if using spicy sausage)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 (15-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (2-inch) piece parmesan cheese rind (see NOTE)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices of crusty bread/baguette
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley
For the Soup:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the sausage and break it up with a spoon or spatula.
- Cook until the sausage is rendered, cooked through, and crispy in spots, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- To the drippings in the pot, add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic, dried herbs, and red pepper flakes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir until it is melted and coating everything in the pan. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the wine and scrape up any browned bits that may have formed on the bottom of the pan. Cook for about a minute or until the wine has mostly evaporated.
- Add in the peppers, stock, tomatoes, parmesan cheese rind, and some salt and pepper (start with 1 teaspoon of each – we can always add more later).
- Stir the sausage back into the pot.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. The soup should thicken slightly and the peppers should become tender. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the bread slices in an even layer on the baking sheet and then drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp around the edges. While the bread is still hot, carefully rub the garlic clove all over the surface of the bread.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over top and return the pan to the oven for about 5 minutes or until the mozzarella is completely melted.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh herbs. Serve the garlicky mozzarella toasts on the side.
- I always save the rinds from my hunks of parmesan cheese. I place them in a resealable plastic bag and keep them in the freezer. They add amazing umami to sauces and soups like this one. If you do not have a parmesan cheese rind, you can grate a little extra parmesan into the soup when it comes time to serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: soup
Keywords: sausage and peppers soup, sausage and peppers, sausage and peppers stew