This Coconut Curry Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup is a hearty bowl of nourishing ingredients that will warm you right up! Comfort food can be healthy, and this soup is chock-full of good stuff for your body and soul. We love it topped with yogurt and served with warm naan on the side!
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, grated (about 1 tablespoon grated)
- 1 1-inch piece of turmeric, grated (about 1 tablespoon grated)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (4-oz) jar green Thai chili paste (you can use red too)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-oz) can coconut milk (I prefer full fat)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup dried black lentils, rinsed well (any type of lentil will work)
- 2 cups diced sweet potato (1-2 sweet potatoes, depending on the size)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Warmed naan
For the Soup:
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once it is melted, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and turmeric.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the onion and pepper are beginning to soften.
- Add in the spices, salt, red pepper flakes, tomato paste, and Thai chili paste and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, coconut milk, soy sauce/tamari, and fish sauce.
- Bring to a simmer. Once the liquid is simmering, add the lentils and sweet potatoes and continue simmering for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Squeeze in the lime juice just before serving. Season, to taste, with additional salt.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with dollops of yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro, and additional lime wedges. Serve with warmed naan on the side.
This soup thickens quite a bit as it cools. If reheating the soup, you may want to add a splash or two of broth to the pot or bowl as you heat it up.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: soup
Keywords: coconut curry lentil soup, coconut curry lentil and sweet potato soup, coconut curry with lentils and sweet potatoes, healthy coconut curry soup