These Black Bean & Butternut Squash Skillet Enchiladas are a one-skillet comfort meal that is flavor packed and filled with nourishing vegetarian ingredients like butternut squash, black beans, and corn tortillas. This recipe takes the fuss out of enchiladas – you and your family will love this one-skillet meal!
- 2 teaspoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 (8-oz) can or package of red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I like 2%)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar, jack, or pepper jack cheese
- Avocado slices (or guacamole)
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Red onion
- Lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, spices, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the squash and ½ cup of water. Cook until the squash is just starting to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in the beans.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce, yogurt, and lime juice until smooth and creamy. Add it to the pan, along with another ⅓ cup of water, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Stir in the tortilla strips until they are evenly coated in the sauce and all the ingredients are well combined. Carefully taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning, as needed (more salt, pepper, etc).
- Top the mixture with the cheese and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly around the edges and the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve immediately while hot, garnished however you prefer.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: enchiladas
Keywords: vegetarian skillet enchiladas, vegetarian butternut squash enchiladas, vegetarian enchilada casserole, butternut squash and black bean enchiladas, butternut squash and black bean skillet enchiladas, butternut squash and black bean enchilada casserole, one-pan vegetarian enchiladas