This Chicken Sausage & Swiss Chard Soup is just what winter ordered. A cozy, hearty, and satisfying bowl of comfort accented with the flavors of Italian chicken sausage and parmesan cheese. Your family will love this one!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sweet chicken sausage (you can also use pork – we prefer the leaner flavor of chicken)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 (3-inch) parmesan cheese rind
- 1 (15-oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and the olive oil.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks, until it is rendered and golden brown in spots.
- Remove the sausage from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- To the drippings in the pan, add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
Stir in the thyme, bay leaves, chicken broth, and parmesan cheese rind. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Return the sausage to the pot, along with the cannellini beans, canned tomatoes, and Swiss chard and cook for another 10 minutes or until the greens are wilted.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper. Discard the parmesan cheese rind and bay leaves before serving.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese grated over top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: soups
Keywords: chicken sausage and swiss chard soup, chicken sausage and green soup, quick and easy chicken sausage soup