This Baked Broccoli Cheddar Tortellini Skillet is everything a weeknight meal should be! Comforting and satisfying while not taking an enormous amount of effort or time. This is broccoli cheddar soup meets cheesy baked pasta, and it is seriously something special!
- 2 cups broccoli florets (I like to keep these in bite-sized pieces)
- 1 (20-oz) package cheese tortellini (you can use any tortellini you like)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Liberally salt the water and then add the broccoli and tortellini. Cook for 3 minutes and then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and once melted, add the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the dried herbs.
- Whisk in the flour and stir to combine. Slowly stream in the stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in the milk and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, whisking well until smooth and creamy. Season, to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the broccoli and tortellini.
- Dollop the ricotta evenly around the pan and then top with the remaining cup of grated cheddar and the grated mozzarella.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly around the edges.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- You can switch up the flavors here: swap in your favorite tortellini flavor or use different cheeses. To up the greens quotient, wilt a bag of baby spinach into the sauce. If a meatier flavor is desired, you can brown some Italian sausage in the skillet before stirring in the onions and garlic. The possibilities are endless!
- The ricotta is optional here, but it does add a layer of creaminess and really echos the flavors of many baked pasta dishes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: pasta
Keywords: Baked Broccoli Cheddar Tortellini Skillet, Broccoli Cheddar Tortellini, broccoli cheese pasta, broccoli cheese tortellini, baked pasta with broccoli