This Soft Pretzel Strata is a breakfast casserole on flavor steroids. Soft pretzels are cubed, soaked in a flavorful egg custard featuring mustard, bacon, and two types of cheese, and then baked to fluffy perfection!
- 6 cups cubed soft pretzels (roughly 6-7 large pretzels)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 4 oz gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- Fresh chives, for garnish
- Flaky salt or pretzel salt, for garnish
Prepping the Strata (best done the night before serving):
- Butter or spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Cube your pretzels and place them in the dish.
- In a skillet set over medium heat, crisp up the bacon. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and sprinkle the bacon over the pretzels in the baking dish, distributing it evenly. If preferred, you can save back a few pieces for garnishing the top (unnecessary but nice for presentation).
- To the bacon drippings in the skillet, cook the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Distribute the onions in the pan with the pretzels, just as you did with the bacon.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Sprinkle half the cheeses over the pretzels in the pan. Pour the egg mixture over everything, distributing it as evenly as you can.
- Gently press the pretzels down into the egg custard so that everything is evenly submerged.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge to set for at least 4 hours (longer is better – I try to do this the day before I want to serve and have it set in the fridge overnight).
Baking the Strata:
- Remove the baking dish from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheeses over top of the strata (as well as any bacon you may have reserved).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top is golden brown and crisp in spots. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Sprinkle over fresh chives and flaky salt right before serving.
- This is a great dish to prep ahead and bake just before serving. It is best served hot, but it is also delicious when eaten at room temperature.
- Feel free to skip the bacon to keep this vegetarian. Use a tablespoon of butter or oil to cook the onions if skipping the bacon.
- Feel free to switch up the cheeses as well. Gouda, Swiss, or manchego cheeses would all be delicious here.
- Soft pretzels are ideal here, but if you can’t find large soft pretzels, any crusty, bakery-style bread will work. Pretzel rolls would be a great alternative for similar flavor!
- Prep Time: 5 hours (mostly inactive chilling time)
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: breakfast casserole
Keywords: soft pretzel strata, soft pretzel egg bake, soft pretzel egg casserole, soft pretzel breakfast casserole