This Creamy White Bean & Gnocchi Soup is a bowl of comfort, on the lighter side. Vegetarian, loaded with cannellini beans and veggies, and kept light but creamy with the addition of yogurt, this soup is simply divine. So much hearty flavor in every bite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups Tuscan/lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (17-oz) package shelf-stable gnocchi (I love the mini size for this)
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, fresh herbs, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the diced bell pepper and chopped kale and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes or until the kale is beginning to soften.
- Add in the canned tomatoes and beans, along with the broth, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Once simmering, add in the gnocchi and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the gnocchi are tender (actual time will depend on the brand and size of the gnocchi you use).
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the milk and yogurt until smooth. Stir it into the soup and cook until everything is heated through. Discard the rosemary stems. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- To keep this on the lighter side, I use the mix of milk and yogurt to add creaminess. Regular half-and-half would work great here if you prefer – I would stir in roughly 1 cup after the gnocchi have cooked through.
- As the soup cools, the gnocchi will thicken the broth. If it gets too thick, you can reheat it with a splash of broth or milk.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: soup
Keywords: creamy white bean and gnocchi soup, lightened up gnocchi soup, cannelloni bean gnocchi soup, tuscan white bean and gnocchi soup, vegetarian gnocchi soup, vegetarian white bean soup, healthy white bean soup