These Bolognese Stuffed Peppers are an ideal weeknight meal. Quick, easy, minimal clean up, and completely delicious and satisfying. Bell peppers are filled with a simple bolognese sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and a sprinkling of panko for crunch! They taste like a bowl of pasta in veggie form!
- 3 green bell peppers
- Olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I like 93% lean)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley or basil, for serving (optional)
Start the Peppers:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- Halve the peppers lengthwise, carefully cut out the stem and inner ribs/seeds, and place on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the peppers with a little bit of olive oil and rub them all over. Season with a sprinkle of salt.
- Place peppers cut-side down on the baking sheet and transfer to the oven for 10-12 minutes or until they are mostly somewhat tender but not soft.
Make the Filling:
- While the peppers roast, prepare the filling. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the shallot and tomato and cook for a minute. Add in the ground beef, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning and cook, breaking the meat up, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat from the beef and then stir in the marinara and cream cheese. Stir in ¼ cup water. Bring the mixture up to a simmer, stirring frequently, and cook until it is thickened and everything is well combined, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Assemble & Bake:
- Remove the peppers from the oven and carefully flip them cut-side up. Carefully fill the pepper halves with the beef filling.
- Top each pepper with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese and panko breadcrumbs.
- Return the peppers to the oven and cook for another 10-12 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the cheese is lightly browned and melted.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh herbs just before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: entree
Keywords: bolognese stuffed peppers, quick and easy bolognese stuffed peppers, beef bolognese peppers, roasted peppers with bolognese