- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 8 thick slices of fresh mozzarella
- 1–2 vine tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Place the chicken breasts in a large resealable bag and season them well with salt and pepper. Whisk together the vinegar, oil, garlic, onion, sugar, and herbs and then pour over the chicken in the bag. Place the bag in the fridge and allow to marinate for 4-8 hours (the longer the better).
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the chicken in a cast iron skillet and pour some of the marinade over top. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Top each chicken breast with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and gooey. Garnish with the fresh basil just before serving.