- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ cups currants or raisins
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin pan or line with papers.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, ginger, and currants/raisins.
- In another bowl, whisk together the zest, egg, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla until combined.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients until just incorporated. Do not overmix! It will be a thick batter!
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full with the batter and then sprinkle each with the turbinado sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool. Serve warmed or at room temperature with softened butter and/or jam.