- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup strong coffee (I like using cold brew coffee for this)
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee
- 2 cups Oreo cookies, chopped or crushed
- Whisk yolks and sugar in large bowl until well blended and creamy.
- Bring milk to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture.
- Whisk in the cold brew and instant espresso.
- Return the entire mixture to the same saucepan used for the milk and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Be careful to not let the mixture come to a boil.
- Place a large mesh strainer over the same mixing bowl used to whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Pour the hot custard through the strainer and discard any solids that may have formed.
- Refrigerate the custard until chilled, about 2 hours.
- When you are ready to churn your gelato, stir in the crushed Oreos and then transfer to your ice cream maker. Process the gelato according to the manufacturer’s instructions and then transfer to an airtight container. Freeze for an hour or two before serving.