This Roasted Red Pepper, Chickpea, & Tomato Soup is just what cold weather calls for! It’s cozy and satisfying but also happens to be vegan and free of dairy and gluten. It’s a bowl full of health!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (24-oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup unsweetened oat milk (almond, coconut, or dairy will work too)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, parmesan cheese crisps, crackers, or bread, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, garlic, dried herbs, pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions are starting to soften and turn translucent.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir until it is melted.
- Add in the diced peppers, broth, tomatoes, vinegar, chickpeas, another pinch of salt, and some black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the milk.
- Remove the pot from the heat and using an immersion blender, partially puree the soup. You can make it as smooth or as chunky as you like. You can also use a regular blender – transfer half the soup to a blender and blend until smooth and then return it to the pot. Just be careful and vent the blender top so you don’t have an explosion on your hands from the hot liquid.
- Check the seasonings and adjust as necessary. Serve hot with cheese crisps, crackers, or bread and a drizzle of olive oil over top.
- Category: soup
Keywords: roasted red pepper soup, vegan soup recipes, healthy soup recipes, gluten free soup recipes, dairy free soup recipes, vegetarian soups, chickpea recipes