These Buffalo Chicken Tostadas with Limey Slaw are a buffalo lover’s dream. Spicy, tangy, savory, cheesy, crisp, and cooling – all at once in every bite. They are so much fun to make and eat!
For the Buffalo Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup buffalo hot sauce
For the Slaw:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing (or blue cheese dressing)
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
For the Tostadas:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- The shredded buffalo chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses (we like a mix, but you could certainly use all cheddar or all Jack)
- The slaw
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup diced scallions
- ½ cup pickled jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, optional
- Lime wedges
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing, optional, for drizzling
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
For the Chicken:
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add them to the hot pan. Cook for 2 minutes per side.
- Add in the buffalo sauce, stir everything to combine, and then cover the pan. Cook for 10 minutes and then uncover and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn the chicken to coat in the sauce as it cooks.
- Shred the chicken right in the pan with two forks. Toss it to coat in the sauce. Set aside.
For the Slaw:
- Whisk together the lime juice, ranch, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in the coleslaw mix and toss well to coat evenly in the dressing. Season, to taste, with additional lime juice or salt. Set aside.
For the Tostadas:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high until it shimmers. Add the tortillas, one at a time, to the hot oil and cook for 20-30 seconds per side, or until the tortillas are golden and crisp (they may puff up a bit as they cook – gently push the air out of them when this happens so they stay mostly flat).
- Remove the tortillas from the hot oil and allow to drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt while they are hot.
- They will crisp up as they cool. Continue until all the tortillas have been crisped.
- Layer each crispy tortilla with some of the shredded buffalo chicken and the grated cheeses.
- Place the tortillas on the prepared baking sheets and then bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is warmed through.
- To serve, take each tostada while still hot and pile on the limey slaw, a sprinkling of red onions, tomatoes, scallions, pickled jalapenos, and fresh herbs. Serve drizzled with more lime juice and dressing, as desired. If preferred, you can also top with a little crumbled blue cheese right before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: dinner
Keywords: buffalo chicken tostadas, quick and easy shredded buffalo chicken, shredded buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken tostadas with slaw