My buffalo chicken obsession continues.
If you’ve been following along for some time now (or know me in real life), to say that I am a big fan of the classic buffalo wing flavors is a huge understatement (case in point: this recipe index). If it’s something savory, I will buffalo it up. You better believe it.
I’ve done everything from lasagna to enchiladas to brussels sprouts to pizza to soup to skillet chicken to pasta salad. I also have a list of buffalo recipe ideas to eventually share with you – I feel like I have to spread them way out or it would be completely overwhelming, hah. But just know, I have easily 10-12 new buffalo ideas in my brain at all times.
These tostadas beat out the rest. For now.
These. Are. Insane.
I have talked about our love of tostadas before (these pulled pork ones are EPIC and remain one of Dan’s top three meals…ever). They are an amazing mix of textures and flavors and can be made a thousand different ways.
Here, we’re topping super crispy and salty tortillas (think a giant tortilla chip) with saucy shredded buffalo chicken, gooey cheese, and a fresh and crisp slaw. Texture heaven!
I love the juxtaposition of cold, bright slaw on something warm and super rich. I almost always serve tacos with a slaw. I prefer nachos with a slaw-like salad on top. It’s a cold-and-hot, light-and-rich, bright-and-savory kinda thing for me.
I love it.
I think this is one of the reasons why I am so obsessed with buffalo everything. Hot and spicy wings are usually paired with something cooling and tangy (blue cheese/ranch dressing) and often served with something crunchy on the side (celery or other crisp veggies). It’s that combination of hot and cold, spicy and cooling, salty and fresh. It just works so well together.
These are no different!
The buffalo chicken takes about 20 minutes to make on the stovetop – you can shred it right in the pan and toss it with any residual buffalo sauce. Yes, yes, yes! Don’t waste a drop of that magic.
While that’s happening, you can crisp up your tortillas and make the slaw. Prep those fresh toppings, too! Because once that chicken is done, you’re going to want to get these into your mouth as fast as humanly possible. Trust me.
I wrote this recipe to feed a crowd. While no one is really feeding crowds right now, I do think this is a super fun thing to make for your more intimate Super Bowl gathering this weekend. For us, it will just be our little fam, and I’ll still make these. All of the components can be made at once and will keep well for a day or two.
WHICH MEANS you can eat these for three days in a row if you want! We do. We always want these. And I don’t think we’d ever tire of them, either.
Buffalo fan, rejoice! These are where it’s at.
These Buffalo Chicken Tostadas with Limey Slaw are a buffalo lover’s dream. Spicy, tangy, savory, cheesy, crisp, and cooling – all at once in every bite. They are so much fun to make and eat!
For the Buffalo Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup buffalo hot sauce
For the Slaw:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing (or blue cheese dressing)
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
For the Tostadas:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- The shredded buffalo chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses (we like a mix, but you could certainly use all cheddar or all Jack)
- The slaw
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup diced scallions
- ½ cup pickled jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, optional
- Lime wedges
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing, optional, for drizzling
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
For the Chicken:
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add them to the hot pan. Cook for 2 minutes per side.
- Add in the buffalo sauce, stir everything to combine, and then cover the pan. Cook for 10 minutes and then uncover and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn the chicken to coat in the sauce as it cooks.
- Shred the chicken right in the pan with two forks. Toss it to coat in the sauce. Set aside.
For the Slaw:
- Whisk together the lime juice, ranch, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in the coleslaw mix and toss well to coat evenly in the dressing. Season, to taste, with additional lime juice or salt. Set aside.
For the Tostadas:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high until it shimmers. Add the tortillas, one at a time, to the hot oil and cook for 20-30 seconds per side, or until the tortillas are golden and crisp (they may puff up a bit as they cook – gently push the air out of them when this happens so they stay mostly flat).
- Remove the tortillas from the hot oil and allow to drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt while they are hot.
- They will crisp up as they cool. Continue until all the tortillas have been crisped.
- Layer each crispy tortilla with some of the shredded buffalo chicken and the grated cheeses.
- Place the tortillas on the prepared baking sheets and then bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is warmed through.
- To serve, take each tostada while still hot and pile on the limey slaw, a sprinkling of red onions, tomatoes, scallions, pickled jalapenos, and fresh herbs. Serve drizzled with more lime juice and dressing, as desired. If preferred, you can also top with a little crumbled blue cheese right before serving.
- Category: dinner
Keywords: buffalo chicken tostadas, quick and easy shredded buffalo chicken, shredded buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken tostadas with slaw