These Spicy Watermelon Margaritas are the perfect summer cocktail! They feature a spicy serrano syrup, fresh watermelon juice, and a salty Tajin rim! Spicy, smoky, sweet, and tangy all at once. I could sip on these all summer long…all that’s missing is some chips and salsa!
For the Simple Syrup:
- 1 batch serrano simple syrup
For the Watermelon Juice:
- 5 cups fresh watermelon, cubed (see NOTE)
For 2 Margaritas:
- 4 oz watermelon juice
- 4 oz silver tequila
- 4 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 oz orange liqueur (Cointreau is my fave, but triple sec works too!)
- 2 oz spicy simple syrup (or to taste)
For Rimming the Glasses:
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon Tajin seasoning
- Watermelon wedges
- Sliced serrano peppers
- Lime wedges
For the Simple Syrup:
Make the simple syrup first and allow to cool while you prep the other ingredients.
Make the Watermelon Juice:
Add watermelon to a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds or until the watermelon is completely blended and liquified.
For 2 Cocktails:
- To a large shaker filled with ice, add the watermelon juice, tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, and cooled simple syrup.
- Shake vigorously for a few seconds to thoroughly mix and chill the ingredients.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the salt, sugar, and Tajin.
- Run a lime slice around the edges of your serving glasses and then dip the rims in salt mixture.
- Fill the glasses with ice.
- Pour the margarita mixture into the glasses, garnish with watermelon wedges, limes, or serrano pepper slices, and serve immediately.
- You can use any hot pepper here. Serranos add a good amount of heat and add a great flavor to the syrup. Jalapeños would also work great!
- If you want to make this even easier, you can use store-bought watermelon juice. It doesn’t need to be freshly blended juice. This brand is my favorite. I have made this both ways and both are fabulous.
- This recipe will make extra simple syrup and watermelon juice. Perfect for making a larger batch of margaritas!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: cocktails
Keywords: spicy watermelon margarita, spicy watermelon margarita with tajin, margarita with tajin rim, homemade watermelon juice, serrano syrup, serrano watermelon margaritas