Are you ready for the world’s easiest recipe?
It’s so easy, in fact, that I hesitate to call it a “recipe.” It’s more like a method. A method for getting as many ice cream stuffed cookies into your face this upcoming Memorial Day weekend!
I don’t know about you, but that sounds like the absolute perfect way to spend a holiday weekend.
I absolutely love ice cream sandwiches. They are chock full of childhood nostalgia, and they’re quite tasty and refreshing to boot! I think my favorite ice cream sandwich is a chipwich – ice cream sandwiched between chocolate chip cookies. OMG. So good. I made my own version last year, and they are still the stuff of dreams. Oh, and this macaroon version ain’t too shabby either!
Lately, though, I’ve been craving Oreos. I usually don’t give into said craving, but last week, I totally caved. And that’s when the idea for dolloping some ice cream between everyone’s favorite sandwich cookie came to me. And I’m not sure why it hadn’t occurred to me before!
First, look at how darn CUTE they are! They’re mini! Which I love because it makes me feel like I can eat more of them. I also love that you can make an entire tray with one package of Oreos.
Second, you can switch out the ice cream or gelato or sorbet flavors for whatever you like. Heck, you can get super cray and switch out the Oreo flavors too! I went with the Double Stuf for these (my personal fave). The possibilities truly are endless.
For this batch, I went with my all-time favorite ice cream flavors: mint chip gelato and coffee gelato. I allllmost did salted caramel, raspberry sorbet, and peanut butter, and I don’t think those would have been bad choices AT ALL. There’s really no wrong way to do this.
My husband devoured the coffee gelato sandwiches and declared them one of the best little frozen bites he’s ever had. And I tend to agree! You get all the flavor and texture from the Oreos with the added flavor and chill of ice cream! It’s like adding a scoop of cookies & cream to everything. And I love it.
For cuteness purposes, I went ahead and dipped my sandwiches in some hot fudge sauce and then in rainbow sprinkles. I couldn’t resist. It added just the right amount of whimsy to these. Kieran’s reaction confirmed this. Lots of “Oooooo!!!! Sprinkles, Mommy!!!” Over and over again.
That said, the dipping and sprinkling is totally optional. These are just as cute and delicious without.
I highly recommend you whip up a batch of these for your Memorial Day. A little frozen treat is just what summer ordered, after all.
Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Yield: makes roughly 25 mini ice cream sandwiches 1x
- 1 package Oreos (any flavor or variation!)
- 1 quart ice cream/gelato of choice (or multiple flavors)
- Hot fudge sauce, for dipping (optional)
- Sprinkles, optional
- Separate the Oreo sandwiches so the cream filling is on one side. Line all the cream filled cookies in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet (choose one that will fit in your freezer).
- Allow your ice cream/gelato to soften slightly. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out mini ice cream/gelato balls and place on each of the cream filled cookie halves.
- Working quickly, top each ice cream scoop with the other half of the Oreo cookie sandwich, pressing down slightly to create a sandwich.
- Transfer the ice cream sandwiches to the freezer and allow them to set for at least 2 hours.
- If desired, dip the sandwiches in hot fudge sauce, sprinkle with sprinkles, and then return to the freezer for another hour so the chocolate can set. This part is optional – you can also enjoy them undipped after the 2 hours!
[…] If you need a quick treat to serve up in the summer, the Oreo ice cream sandwich is just right for you. For this recipe, you don’t have to worry about being the best cook. You will just need two ingredients, Oreo cookies, and ice cream. Without a doubt, anyone can make this delightful dessert. To be one of those people, just read these instructions. […]