This seems to be an unpopular opinion these days, but I almost always prefer my coffee to be hot over cold.
I know, I know.
Everyone is allll about the iced coffee and cold brew these days. Don’t get me wrong, I love them too! But not as my first cup of coffee for the day.
There is something inherently comforting and cozy about the routine of making a hot cup of coffee in the early morning and then getting to leisurely sip it. When I drink iced coffee, I often guzzle it down without savoring it.
Iced coffee drinks, for me, are best for the afternoons. I try not to drink more than two caffeinated beverages in a day, and sometimes that afternoon slump REQUIRES the jolt of coffee. And that is when I want something cold and refreshing to perk me up.
These iced pistachio lattes are my newest fave and have been on rotation in the afternoons here for the past couple weeks.
The key to these is to have all your ingredients already chilled. I love to brew espresso ahead and keep it in the fridge OR use cold brew. A good, strong cold brew works wonderfully here!
I also make a homemade pistachio syrup ahead of time and keep it in the fridge all week long. The process is pretty simple.
You make a simple syrup and then steep some pistachios in it along with some vanilla and almond extracts. Blend the whole thing up and strain out any solids. The resulting syrup tastes like heaven!
I have ALSO made this with pre-made pistachio syrup and it is delightful! I buy this one online and it tastes like pistachio ice cream! SO GOOD.
If you don’t feel like making the homemade pistachio syrup (and I get it if you don’t – sometimes I don’t feel like that extra step either!), the one I linked above is seriously amazing.
Once all your ingredients are cold, you assemble the drinks in all of 5 minutes. Which is the longest an iced coffee situation should take anyway.
Into glasses filled with ice, I pour chilled espresso or cold brew, some pistachio syrup, and whatever milk I have on hand. Sometimes it’s cow. Sometimes it’s oat. And lately, I’ve been digging unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
I usually LOATHE almond milk in my coffee, but with the nutty flavors going on here already, it works really great in these lattes!
Mix everything up to incorporate that syrup (syrups always sink to the bottom) and then garnish however you like. I am usually fine to drink it just as is, but if you’re feeling fancy, add a squirt of whipped cream. If you’re feeling adventurous, add some chopped pistachios on top too!
However you take it, this is one deliciously refreshing sweet coffee treat. It’s like a pistachio ice cream affogado.
These Iced Pistachio Lattes taste like pistachio ice cream and coffee had a magical baby, and I am HERE for it. A homemade pistachio syrup flavored with pistachios, vanilla, and almond extract is mixed with espresso and milk to create a nutty, sweet, and delicious coffee treat!
For the Pistachio Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
For the Lattes:
- 4 oz espresso, cooled (you can also use strong coffee or cold brew)
- 1–2 oz pistachio syrup, or to taste (see NOTE)
- 8 oz milk of choice
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Chopped pistachios, for garnish (totally optional)
For the Pistachio Syrup:
- I highly recommend doing this ahead of time.
- Combine the sugar and water in a small pot and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and then add in the pistachios. Simmer over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts and a tiny pinch of salt.
- Blend until completely smooth. Pass the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer into a mason jar or other heat-safe container. If you want zero pistachio bits in your syrup, line your strainer with cheesecloth first. Discard the solids.
For the Lattes:
- To two glasses filled with ice, add the cooled espresso and pistachio syrup, dividing them equally. Stir gently with a straw.
- Top off with chilled milk of choice. Garnish with whipped cream and chopped pistachios (optional!). Stir to combine all the ingredients and then serve immediately.
- You can make this with store-bought pistachio syrup. I’ve done it both ways and both are fabulous. This one is my favorite. It tastes like pistachio ice cream!
- I love to prep for coffee drinks like this the night before. I brew the espresso the night before and stick it in the fridge so it’s icy cold in the morning. That way, there’s no cooling time needed in the morning when I am desperate for caffeine. The homemade syrup can be made ahead and will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Category: coffee
Keywords: iced pistachio lattes, pistachio lattes, homemade pistachio lattes, homemade pistachio syrup, pistachio coffee