It’s turning out to be a boozy week around here, isn’t it?
I have participated these past couple years, and I have to say, coming up with popsicle ideas is getting harder and harder! Mainly because everyone has already come up with so, so, sooo many great and creative recipes!
One thing remains constant for me when developing these recipes: I like booze in my pops.
One of my favorite drinks during the warmer months is a mojito. It’s tied for second place with super chilled chardonnay right behind margaritas. What can I say? I love my margs. Unapologetically.
Mojitos are great, though, because you can switch things up a million and one ways. You can keep them simple (rum, sugar, lime juice, mint, club soda/seltzer), or you can add in different fruits, herbs, rums, other flavorings to give things a fun twist.
Also, my husband likes mojitos a lot better than margaritas (he had too much tequila in his younger days), which makes imbibing together a little easier on the weekends.
In this case, I swapped in some lemonade in place of the classic lime flavor (although limeade would also work fabulously here) and added in some fresh berries. Because the berries are INSANE right now. We’ve been going through strawberries like crazy lately.
And the blackberries! Swoon worthy!
It seemed appropriate that berries make their way into this year’s popsicle week recipe.
I make a super easy mint-infused syrup (seriously, it takes minutes to make) and whisk it into store bought (yes! EASY!) lemonade. Thennn I add a healthy glug of rum to the situation and garnish things up with mint leaves and fresh berries.
Assembling these is so simple. Really, the hardest part is waiting a few hours for them to freeze up! They are so refreshing and lightly sweet with the perfect amount of lemon tang. The fruit freezes up perfectly, too.
The only downside to these for me was that I couldn’t share them with Kieran. He spotted them in the freezer and must have asked me 20 times if he could have a popsicle. Ugh. Mom Guilt taketh over!
“No, Honey, Mommy didn’t make those for you. She put booze in them because…priorities! Gotta get my drank on!!!”
Hah. No, that convo didn’t actually happen, but I will say that my almost-four-year-old did NOT like the fact that these were not for him. Believe me, he made sure I knew that.
The good news is that you can make these WITHOUT rum too! They’ll turn out just as well and without the side of Mom Guilt.
For now, I’m hoarding this boozy batch all for myself. After all, the rum helps with the guilt!
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2½ cups store-bought lemonade
- ½ cup light rum (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh berries and mint leaves, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the mint leaves and remove from the heat. Allow the mint to steep in the syrup until it has cooled completely to room temperature. Strain out the mint leaves and discard.
- In a large measuring cup or a mixing bowl with a pour spout, whisk together the mint syrup, lemonade, and lime juice (and rum, if you are using it).
- Fill each popsicle mold with a few berries and mint leaves. Pour the lemonade mixture into each mold and insert a popsicle stick into each one.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours. Run barely warm water over the mold to easily remove the popsicles. Serve frozen.