I have a “cheat” recipe for you today. I say that because it’s pretty much impossible for something like this to be bad.
It’s a “cheat” in the same way that anything doused in truffle oil, dunked in chocolate (which these kinda-sorta are), smothered in cheese, or cooked in butter is a cheat. Of course it’s going to taste good!
That said, I still felt the need to share them with you. I’m taking a childhood favorite, crispy cereal treats, and turning up the volume by adding some of my favorite flavors and calling on that ol’ sweet-salty love combo. These are foolproof and should definitely be added to your “must try” list.
I fully intended to make these in my brand new microwave or on top of my brand new stove, but neither were ready for me when it came time to test out this recipe. Sigh. So, I returned to Old Faithful: my grill. That thing has been getting a serious workout this summer…even more than usual. Between all the grilled bread I’ve been making (it’s basically a staple side dish in my house now), skillet cookies, and multiple grilled salads…it’s a wonder that Old Faithful hasn’t given up on us yet. Thank goodness for that.
The recipe below is written out for all you normal people out there…ya know, people with functioning kitchen appliances. You can make these completely in the microwave or on top of the stove. No oven cooking is required. I used my grill for the two melting steps, and it worked just fine. So, if you’re feeling unnecessarily adventurous, crank up your grill for these babies! I can attest to its success.
My hope is to begin sharing home cooked recipes with you that take place INSIDE my house in the very near future. The kitchen reno is wrapping up during the next week, and I don’t think I’ve ever been so relieved in my whole life. Lucky for you guys, all this time “off” from real cooking has given me lots and lots of time to brainstorm tons of new recipe ideas that I can share with you lovely people. Let’s just say that although I’m sad to see summer ending soon, fall cooking will be in full effect on this blog in the near future. I can’t wait. It’s going to be an autumn explosion! Stay tuned.
For now, these delicious (grilled) cereal treats will have to do. Not too shabby!
Nutella-Pretzel Cereal Treats
- Yield: 16-20 treats 1x
For the Cereal Treats:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10-oz) package marshmallows
- ½ cup nutella
- Pinch of fine salt
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup crushed mini pretzel sticks
For the Topping:
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup crushed or chopped mini pretzel sticks
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling on top (optional)
For the Cereal Treats:
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and set aside. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add in the marshmallows, nutella, and salt and stir until melted and smooth. Fold in the cereal and the pretzels and toss to combine. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish and set aside.
For the Topping:
- Melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream together in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds until completely melted and smooth. Pour the mixture over the cereal treats and spread out so even. While the chocolate is still warm, top with the crushed pretzels and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt. Allow to set until firm. Slice and serve!
- I used the basic recipe for cereal treats that everyone knows and loves but adapted it to include my bonus flavors.
Matt Robinson says
What a fun and tasty treat, I know my kids would go crazy for these!
Thanks, Matt! They are perfect for a quick dessert. I’m sure kids would be all over these!
I want to eat this today, tomorrow and every day after.
Me too! Thanks, Chrissy!
Kylie @ immaeatthat says
Gosh these look so crunchy and creamy and perfect all at the same time!!!! I want like 3 of these served with a giant glass of ice cold milk!
The ice cold milk is definitely mandatory with these. Thanks, Kylie!
Crystal | Apples & Sparkle says
These look and sound so great! Nutella and pretzels – match made in heaven!!
Thanks so much, Crystal!
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
these little bars look delicious! you can never go wrong with chocolate and pretzels together. something magical happens when sugar and salt meet… i can imagine how good these must have tasted!
I’m a sucker for anything sweet and salty…and these definitely fit the bill! Thanks, Thalia!
Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking says
Woo woo! I am all about the sweet and salty! Love this recipe!
Me too! Thanks, Stefanie!
ashley - baker by nature says
OMG what a treat! My hubby would LOVE these!!!
My hubs definitely didn’t turn his nose up at them! 🙂 Thanks, Ashley.