Calling all pickle lovers!
This is going to be a polarizing recipe. In my experience, people are either ALL IN with pickles or completely out. I get it. It’s just one of those things.
I am definitely a HUGE pickle fan (really, I’m a fan of everything and anything briny and salty). I love pickles on sandwiches of all kinds, in things like chicken salad (give it a try!), and straight out of the jar. I love, love, love them.
SO, for me, this pizza is heaven on earth. And guess what? Today is National Pickle Day (who knew?), so this is totally appropriate.
This pizza features a garlic-dill-ranch white sauce, loads of cheese, crispy bacon, and actual pickle slices. The result is a briny, salty, porky, cheesy masterpiece. Truly, it is incredible.
IF you’re a pickle fan, that is.
This pizza is based off of a local version called “The Philly Dilly.” Several restaurants in this area have their own version of a dill pickle pizza, and I’ve tried a couple of them. This version is my take on all of them. I took bits and pieces from different Philly Dilly pizzas and created my own. And I couldn’t be happier with how it came out.
First, the white sauce gets spread all over pizza dough. I just use my favorite store-bought dough, but you can definitely make your own.
Then, loads of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses go on. Next, layers of crispy bacon, dill pickle slices, and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. The red pepper is optional, but it gives everything an awesome subtle heat.
That’s it! Simple but so, so flavorful.
When the pizza is hot out of the oven, I like to sprinkle over some more fresh dill, to really drive home that flavor.
All that’s left to do is slice and devour.
I’m telling you, if you’re a pickle fan, you HAVE to try this! It’s like the very best gooey grilled cheese and pickle sandwich you ever had.
Dill Pickle White Pizza
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
Calling all pickle lovers! This Dill Pickle White Pizza is for you. It features a dill-ranch-garlic white sauce, loads of cheesy goodness, crispy bacon, and dill pickles! It’s briny, salty, porky goodness in every single bite.
For the White Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Pizza:
- 1 lb pizza dough
- The white sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced or diced dill pickles
- 1/2 cup cooked and diced bacon
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Additional fresh dill, for garnish
For the White Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the garlic is softened and fragrant.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the fresh dill, the ranch dressing, and a little salt and pepper,
- Taste, and add more seasonings, as needed.
For the Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 475°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven while it preheats.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a thin, large circle roughly 14-inches in diameter. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet (if using a pizza stone, transfer the dough to a parchment-lined pizza peel).
- Spread the white sauce evenly over the crust, leaving a border around the edges.
- Top with the cheeses, pickles, bacon, and pinch of salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes (optional).
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes (start checking it around 8 minutes) or until the crust is crisp and golden and the cheese is melted, bubbly, and golden in spots.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing. Garnish with fresh dill just before serving. Enjoy while warm.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: pizza
Keywords: dill pickle pizza, dill pickle white pizza, dill pickle and bacon pizza, Philly Dilly pickle pizza, white pizza with pickles and bacon
Jeff Winett says
This strange concept for a pizza grabbed me but good. Quite honestly it has been ages since I’ve seen anything so odd. It gave me a thrill to make something that was shockingly rogue. I felt that it would have to be decent, after reading all you wrote. I was not prepared to go crazy for this, and that in itself made our dinner last night a true “being in the moment” experience. I will confess that I used my typical 9.5 oz. of pizza dough, hand stretched to a 10 inch round, which is basically half of your recipe….I used your full amount of sauce, half of the cheeses, and all of the toppings. No turning back on this, now that I’ve indulged 🙂 Thank you for what you’ve shared.
Katy Waugh says
So good I had to share it with my son, the foodie! This was better than expected and so full of flavor. Shared a picture of it on social media and shocked some of my friends, who will be trying it also. Thanks for this!!
I just made this and it is pretty good. My only complaint is it is quite salty. There’s salt in the ranch, salt in the pickles, and then the bacon is super salty. It was just a salt overload.
Delicious! I am a fellow pickle person and this is basically my dream pizza flavor. YUM
Do you use the dry ranch dressing or the bottled ranch dressing?
The bottled kind!