It’s Thirsty Thursday.
I have been on a major cocktail kick lately. I don’t know if it’s boredom from quarantine life (I miss going out to dinner and having a pre-dinner cocktail!!!), the summer season getting me excited, or some other precarious reason (hmm). Maybe it’s a combo of all three!
In the past month, I’ve shared a number of alcoholic bevies, and it appears, I’m nowhere near done. I already have a list running for the rest of the summer.
Speaking of, these fresh cherry mojitos are summer in a glass.
I live for cherry season. They are my absolute fave snack this time of year, but I also love to bake with them, feature them in salads, or use them in cocktails. I’ve even used them in my coffee! These mojitos really allow the cherry to shine.
Mojitos in general are a clean, light drink. So adding the cherries here was a no brainer for me – I wanted them to be the star of the show!
These start with a fresh cherry syrup. You can totally make this ahead. In fact, that’s what I recommend. I’ll make a batch of this (sometimes I even double it) and just keep it in a mason jar in my fridge. That way, when cocktail time arrives, there’s no work to be done! You just pour it into your glasses with the rest of your mojito ingredients and enjoy.
To make the syrup, you simmer some cherries in simple syrup until they’re super soft and tender. Then, we whir them up in a blender until smooth. You can strain the syrup if you like, but I don’t mind the little cherry bits that remain after blending. I like to do the syrup ahead because it can cool down and be chilled for the cocktails. I don’t recommend using the syrup right away while it’s still warm. That will be a…different cocktail experience.
These come together with just a handful of ingredients – cherry syrup, mint, limes, rum, and sparkling water. That’s it! Easy peasy.
I say we make these the cocktail of the summer!
Until I share my next concoction….next week.
These Fresh Cherry Mojitos are summer in a glass! With just a handful of ingredients, you can make these delicious cherry-spiked mojitos for one or a crowd. Refreshing and light, they really let the cherry be the star of the show!
For the Cherry Syrup:
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup sugar
For Two Mojitos:
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 lime, quartered
- ¼ cup of the cherry syrup
- 4 oz light rum
- Seltzer or sparkling water, for topping off the glasses
- Fresh mint, lime wedges, and cherries, for optional garnish
For the Fresh Cherry Syrup:
- Place the pitted cherries, water, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stirring frequently, simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes, or until the cherries are very soft.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. If a smoother syrup is preferred, you can strain it, but I don’t mind the small cherry bits!
For Two Mojitos:
- To two tall/highball glasses, add the mint and the lime wedges (I quarter the lime and add 2 quarters to each glass).
- Using a muddle or the back of a wooden spoon, muddle the mint and limes together in the bottom of the glass for a few seconds or until they are fragrant and the lime wedges are mostly juiced.
- Fill the glasses with ice and then add in the cherry syrup and rum. GIve it a gentle mix with a straw or spoon and then top off each glass with sparkling water.
- Garnish with additional mint leaves, fresh cherries, and a lime wedge or slice. Serve immediately.
The cherry syrup can be made a few days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Give it a good shake before using.
- Category: cocktails
Keywords: fresh cherry mojitos, fresh cherry cocktails, fresh cherry syrup, quick and easy cocktails, rum cocktails